Constipation In Ventura, CA
While talking about your bowels may not be a popular topic of conversation, at some point in our lives we will deal with issues such as constipation, a condition in which it’s difficult and sometimes uncomfortable to pass stools. Many people will experience this problem and many times it’s not due to any serious medical condition. However, we know that no one wants to deal with constipation and it’s our job to get your system working normally again.
Those with constipation may find themselves straining when using the bathroom. Bowel movements will also be less frequent, and some people may not pass stool for three days or more at a time. Constipation can also cause abdominal pain and swelling.
What’s causing your constipation?
There are so many reasons why this digestive issue occurs including:
- Dietary changes
- Changes in your activity level (suddenly becoming less active)
- Not consuming enough fiber
- Not getting enough water in your diet
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Diets high in dairy
- Certain medications like iron pills or antidepressants
- Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
If you are dealing with bowel movement problems for more than two weeks then it’s time you came into our office for treatment. Our team of medical experts will talk to you about your symptoms, lifestyle, diet and habits, while also performing certain tests to detect the cause of your constipation. You may require a blood test, barium swallow or colonoscopy in order to reach a proper diagnosis. We will also discuss simple things you can do to avoid constipation in the future.
You should see us right away if:
- There is blood in your stool
- If you are losing weight suddenly or quickly
- If you have severe pain when passing stools
- If you’ve never been constipated before